Quantcast

Using JMeter with a Java Swing Application

Using JMeter with a Java Swing Application

RBRB
Has anyone used JMeter with a client-server Java application whose front-end is written in Swing?  The application runs in Weblogic and accesses an Oracle database.  The question is how to launch the application's login screen and record the clicks to create the scenario under test?

Re: Using JMeter with a Java Swing Application

shettyd
You cannot use Jmeter for this.

On Tue, Feb 9, 2010 at 4:01 PM, RBRB <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Has anyone used JMeter with a client-server Java application whose
> front-end
> is written in Swing?  The application runs in Weblogic and accesses an
> Oracle database.  The question is how to launch the application's login
> screen and record the clicks to create the scenario under test?

Re: Using JMeter with a Java Swing Application

RBRB
Thank you for the response.  JMeter has some built-in samplers such as JavaRequest and the control panel of JavaRequest has a combo-box that displays classes that JMeter has found in its lib/ext.  Can someone write a custom sampler calling the entry-point class of the application under test?

Deepak Shetty wrote

On Tue, Feb 9, 2010 at 4:01 PM, RBRB <reza.bahmanyar@blackrock.com> wrote:

> Has anyone used JMeter with a client-server Java application whose
> front-end
> is written in Swing?  The application runs in Weblogic and accesses an
> Oracle database.  The question is how to launch the application's login
> screen and record the clicks to create the scenario under test?

Re: Using JMeter with a Java Swing Application

shettyd
you can call any java class that you want(beanshell java sampler). Its more
difficult to type in fields in the GUI application (you'd probably have to
use the Robot class). If you are going to code this yourself then you might
as well use a tool that already does this I think there were some open
source tools that could drive swing GUI's , check with google!
(Thick GUI's cant really be load tested , you could only perform functional
test)

What you can do is your Swing Client communicates with the weblogic app
using some protocol (EJB, WebServices RMI HTTP whatever). You can test the
weblogic app using JMeter (which would act as the client using the same
protocol). You cant test the swing parts.

regards
deepak

On Tue, Feb 9, 2010 at 5:05 PM, RBRB <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thank you for the response.  JMeter has some built-in samplers such as
> JavaRequest and the control panel of JavaRequest has a combo-box that
> displays classes that JMeter has found in its lib/ext.  Can someone write a
> custom sampler calling the entry-point class of the application under test?
>

> Deepak Shetty wrote:
> >
> > You cannot use Jmeter for this.
> >

> > On Tue, Feb 9, 2010 at 4:01 PM, RBRB <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >

> >> Has anyone used JMeter with a client-server Java application whose
> >> front-end
> >> is written in Swing?  The application runs in Weblogic and accesses an
> >> Oracle database.  The question is how to launch the application's login
> >> screen and record the clicks to create the scenario under test?

Re: Using JMeter with a Java Swing Application

srinivas
Can I Test my Swing Application with JMeter ?
Please guide me.