Quantcast

Newbie : Not able to record the script under corporate proxy

Newbie : Not able to record the script under corporate proxy

Shankar, Tushar
Hi,

I am in a situation where i have a corporate proxy (http://pac.XXXXX.XXXXXXX/XXXX.pac ). It is a .pac file which runs on the port 80 and i have to load test app over this proxy, but i am unable to configure jmeter to record the app.
well i Have started the jmeter from the cmd prompt using the proxyhost,port,username and the password......Port : 80...

When i am trying to record the application under port 80 i am getting "Could not create proxy - port in use . choose another port" error.

(Note: 1. i have selected the pac file as my proxy which is set on port 80.
2. if i deselect the pac and select port 80 as my localhost i wont be able to browse internet.)

Question here is : Is there any way in which i can record script under the corporate proxy ?

Regards,
Tushar Shankar

Re: Newbie : Not able to record the script under corporate proxy

sebb-2-2
On 12 January 2012 11:08, Shankar, Tushar <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am in a situation where i have a corporate proxy (http://pac.XXXXX.XXXXXXX/XXXX.pac ). It is a .pac file which runs on the port 80 and i have to load test app over this proxy, but i am unable to configure jmeter to record the app.
> well i Have started the jmeter from the cmd prompt using the proxyhost,port,username and the password......Port : 80...
>
> When i am trying to record the application under port 80 i am getting "Could not create proxy - port in use . choose another port" error.
>
> (Note: 1. i have selected the pac file as my proxy which is set on port 80.
> 2. if i deselect the pac and select port 80 as my localhost i wont be able to browse internet.)
>
> Question here is : Is there any way in which i can record script under the corporate proxy ?

AIUI a PAC file is a file that the browser reads in order to configure
its proxy settings.

So just find out what the settings are and use those.

If necessary, ask your network admin people for the settings.

[JMeter does not understand PAC files; not even sure if PAC files are
understood by all browsers.]

> Regards,
> Tushar Shankar

Re: Newbie : Not able to record the script under corporate proxy

sbos-61
Il 12/01/2012 12:18, sebb ha scritto:

> On 12 January 2012 11:08, Shankar, Tushar<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am in a situation where i have a corporate proxy (http://pac.XXXXX.XXXXXXX/XXXX.pac ). It is a .pac file which runs on the port 80 and i have to load test app over this proxy, but i am unable to configure jmeter to record the app.
>> well i Have started the jmeter from the cmd prompt using the proxyhost,port,username and the password......Port : 80...
>>
>> When i am trying to record the application under port 80 i am getting "Could not create proxy - port in use . choose another port" error.
>>
>> (Note: 1. i have selected the pac file as my proxy which is set on port 80.
>> 2. if i deselect the pac and select port 80 as my localhost i wont be able to browse internet.)
>>
>> Question here is : Is there any way in which i can record script under the corporate proxy ?
Shankar,

in fact, I did not find a way to configure Jmeter to use a corporate proxy, as if it were a browser, to access internet.

I would be happy to understand if there is a solution to that.
The only workaround I found is to ask network admin people to give the JM system direct access to internet.

Any suggestion?

> AIUI a PAC file is a file that the browser reads in order to configure
> its proxy settings.
>
> So just find out what the settings are and use those.
>
> If necessary, ask your network admin people for the settings.
>
> [JMeter does not understand PAC files; not even sure if PAC files are
> understood by all browsers.]
>
>> Regards,
>> Tushar Shankar

Ing. Sergio Boso

Mail:
Web:
PEC:
Cell:
Linkedin:
Skype:

[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
www.bosoconsulting.it
[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
+39 335 7243 445
http://it.linkedin.com/in/sergioboso <http://www.linkedin.com/pub/sergio-boso/1/29b/255>
sbos61

In caso di erronea ricezione da parte di persona diversa, siete pregati di eliminare il messaggio e i suoi allegati in modo
definitivo dai vostri archivi e di volercelo comunicare immediatamente restituendoci il messaggio via e-mail al seguente
[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
L’interessato può, inoltre, esercitare tutti i diritti di accesso sui propri dati previsti dal decreto 196/2003, tra i quali i
diritti di rettifica, aggiornamento e cancellazione, inviando un messaggio all’indirizzo:[hidden email]
<mailto:[hidden email]>

RE: Newbie : Not able to record the script under corporate proxy

Shankar, Tushar
Sergio,

I didn’t get any possible solution for this problem other than asking IT admin to get direct access to internet.

On 16 January 2012 08:54, Shankar, Tushar <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Sergio,
>
> I didn’t get any possible solution for this problem other than asking IT admin to get direct access to internet.

Have you read the manual?

Setting up a proxy server is described in Getting Started:

http://jmeter.apache.org/usermanual/get-started.html#proxy_server

Oliver Lloyd
As per Seb, it's a breeze to tell JMeter to use a proxy, if your browser is pointing to a pac file just find out what that resolves to and use that address instead.

On a point of principle though, you should consider where the application you are testing is and from where you want to simulate load.

If your application is located externally to your corporate network then you should not really be driving large volumes of requests out of your internal network to get to it. Doing this risks not only inaccurate results but you could also cause problems for your company's network. In this case, a direct internet connection would be best, better yet, you should use an externally based test rig to drive the test.

If the application is located internally then you should consider which internal network components you want to include in the test. Traditionally, a lab setup with the minimum number of network variables is preferred - run JMeter from machines plugged into the same switch as the application. You certainly should not be sending requests all the way out of you network only for them to turn around and come right back in again - that's messy, you're setting yourself up for trouble later.

On 16 January 2012 11:06, Oliver Lloyd <[hidden email]> wrote:

> As per Seb, it's a breeze to tell JMeter to use a proxy, if your browser is
> pointing to a pac file just find out what that resolves to and use that
> address instead.
>
> On a point of principle though, you should consider where the application
> you are testing is and from where you want to simulate load.
>
> If your application is located externally to your corporate network then you
> should not really be driving large volumes of requests out of your internal
> network to get to it. Doing this risks not only inaccurate results but you
> could also cause problems for your company's network. In this case, a direct
> internet connection would be best, better yet, you should use an externally
> based test rig to drive the test.
>
> If the application is located internally then you should consider which
> internal network components you want to include in the test. Traditionally,
> a lab setup with the minimum number of network variables is preferred - run
> JMeter from machines plugged into the same switch as the application. You
> certainly should not be sending requests all the way out of you network only
> for them to turn around and come right back in again - that's messy, you're
> setting yourself up for trouble later.

Good points.

But if JMeter is just being used for functional testing, rather than
load testing, it's not as important to avoid the proxy.

Il 16/01/2012 10:58, sebb ha scritto:
> On 16 January 2012 08:54, Shankar, Tushar<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> Sergio,
>>
>> I didn’t get any possible solution for this problem other than asking IT admin to get direct access to internet.
> Have you read the manual?
>
> Setting up a proxy server is described in Getting Started:
>
> http://jmeter.apache.org/usermanual/get-started.html#proxy_server
Ok, now I found it :-)
Thank you

Sergio