Quantcast

LEARNING - Differences between WebService(SOAP) & SOAP/XML-RPC

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

LEARNING - Differences between WebService(SOAP) & SOAP/XML-RPC

b4d93r
I've been reading about the two SOAP services (WebService(SOAP) Request and SOAP/XML-RPC Request) but I'm still not sure I understand them both. In my previous posts, I was under a crunch to get some tests going using this but now that I have the time, I would like to discuss these two options more in depth to further understand them.

From the documentation (user's guide) with Jmeter, for the SOAP/XML-RPC Request it says,

"The primary difference between the soap sampler and webservice sampler, is the soap sampler uses raw post and does not require conformance to XML."

I just started learning SOAP and XML so my knowledge level is very low on both of these subjects. Could some one further explain that statement please? What is meant by "raw post"? I'm guessing that "conformance to XML" means the standard formatting that XML requires, correct?

Thanks!
Steve
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: LEARNING - Differences between WebService(SOAP) & SOAP/XML-RPC

sebb-2-2
On 19/10/2007, b4d93r <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> I've been reading about the two SOAP services (WebService(SOAP) Request and
> SOAP/XML-RPC Request) but I'm still not sure I understand them
> both.:confused: In my previous posts, I was under a crunch to get some tests
> going using this but now that I have the time, I would like to discuss these
> two options more in depth to further understand them.
>
> From the documentation (user's guide) with Jmeter, for the SOAP/XML-RPC
> Request it says,
>
> "The primary difference between the soap sampler and webservice sampler, is
> the soap sampler uses raw post and does not require conformance to XML."
>
> I just started learning SOAP and XML so my knowledge level is very low on
> both of these subjects. Could some one further explain that statement
> please? What is meant by "raw post"? I'm guessing that "conformance to XML"
> means the standard formatting that XML requires, correct?

It just means that the data on the screen is POSTed without any
validation of its content. You can send any text you want. So you can
test how the server reacts to "bad" input. But for a meaningful SOAP
test, you need to provide good content, which means well-formed XML,
and the XML must be what the SOAP server is expecting.

The Webservice sampler reads the data using XML routines, so it must
be well-formed XML.


> Thanks!
> Steve
>
> --
> View this message in context: http://www.nabble.com/LEARNING---Differences-between-WebService%28SOAP%29---SOAP-XML-RPC-tf4654840.html#a13299742
> Sent from the JMeter - User mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
>
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
> For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]
>
>

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: LEARNING - Differences between WebService(SOAP) & SOAP/XML-RPC

b4d93r
That makes sense now and helps quite a bit!

Thanks sebb-2!
Steve

sebb-2 wrote
On 19/10/2007, b4d93r <b4d93r@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I've been reading about the two SOAP services (WebService(SOAP) Request and
> SOAP/XML-RPC Request) but I'm still not sure I understand them
> both.:confused: In my previous posts, I was under a crunch to get some tests
> going using this but now that I have the time, I would like to discuss these
> two options more in depth to further understand them.
>
> From the documentation (user's guide) with Jmeter, for the SOAP/XML-RPC
> Request it says,
>
> "The primary difference between the soap sampler and webservice sampler, is
> the soap sampler uses raw post and does not require conformance to XML."
>
> I just started learning SOAP and XML so my knowledge level is very low on
> both of these subjects. Could some one further explain that statement
> please? What is meant by "raw post"? I'm guessing that "conformance to XML"
> means the standard formatting that XML requires, correct?

It just means that the data on the screen is POSTed without any
validation of its content. You can send any text you want. So you can
test how the server reacts to "bad" input. But for a meaningful SOAP
test, you need to provide good content, which means well-formed XML,
and the XML must be what the SOAP server is expecting.

The Webservice sampler reads the data using XML routines, so it must
be well-formed XML.


> Thanks!
> Steve
>
> --
> View this message in context: http://www.nabble.com/LEARNING---Differences-between-WebService%28SOAP%29---SOAP-XML-RPC-tf4654840.html#a13299742
> Sent from the JMeter - User mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
>
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: jmeter-user-unsubscribe@jakarta.apache.org
> For additional commands, e-mail: jmeter-user-help@jakarta.apache.org
>
>

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: jmeter-user-unsubscribe@jakarta.apache.org
For additional commands, e-mail: jmeter-user-help@jakarta.apache.org
Loading...