How to copy/clone ThreadGroup or single esections WITH all settings inside to another *.jmx TestPlan?

How to copy/clone ThreadGroup or single esections WITH all settings inside to another *.jmx TestPlan?

benxs
Assume I have setup a comprehensive Testplan with a lot of ThreadGroups and many detail settings.

Now I want to do the following:

1.) Copy/Clone one complete ThreadGroup to another TestPlan WITH ALL setting values inside

or

2.) Copy/clone only one section (e.g. Counter, JMS-Point-to-point,...) WITH ALL setting values inside to another
another TestPlan.

How can I do this?

I would have expected that I can mark one or multiple ThreadGroups or sections, then right-click on one of them and choose a
context menu similar to "export marked settings to clipboard/file".

Conversly in the other *.jmx TestPlan I can mark the TestPlan or ThreadGroup where I want to insert something, then rightclick and choose "import settings".

But I did not found such a feature/sub menu.

Do I really have to type in again the whole stuff manually in the other *.jmx TestPlan?

As far as I can see I cannot open two TestPlans in one and the same JMeter Window.

Why not?

Ben

Re: How to copy/clone ThreadGroup or single esections WITH all settings inside to another *.jmx TestPlan?

Noel O'Brien
Right click on a single element (e.g. Thread Group) and "Save Selection As..."

Then in the second test plan, right click on the parent of where you want the element (Test Plan is your importing a Thread Group) and select "Merge "

Regards,
Noel

----- "Ben Stover" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Assume I have setup a comprehensive Testplan with a lot of ThreadGroups and many detail settings.
>
> Now I want to do the following:
>
> 1.) Copy/Clone one complete ThreadGroup to another TestPlan WITH ALL setting values inside
>
> or
>
> 2.) Copy/clone only one section (e.g. Counter, JMS-Point-to-point,...) WITH ALL setting values inside to another
> another TestPlan.
>
> How can I do this?
>
> I would have expected that I can mark one or multiple ThreadGroups or sections, then right-click on one of them and choose a
> context menu similar to "export marked settings to clipboard/file".
>
> Conversly in the other *.jmx TestPlan I can mark the TestPlan or ThreadGroup where I want to insert something, then rightclick and choose "import settings".
>
> But I did not found such a feature/sub menu.
>
> Do I really have to type in again the whole stuff manually in the other *.jmx TestPlan?
>
> As far as I can see I cannot open two TestPlans in one and the same JMeter Window.
>
> Why not?
>
> Ben

Re: How to copy/clone ThreadGroup or single esections WITH all settings inside to another *.jmx TestPlan?

shettyd
while it doesnt directly address your problem , I assume you are aware of
Include Controllers and Module controllers.
regards
deepak

On Thu, Sep 3, 2009 at 6:35 AM, Ben Stover <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Assume I have setup a comprehensive Testplan with a lot of ThreadGroups and
> many detail settings.
>
> Now I want to do the following:
>
> 1.) Copy/Clone one complete ThreadGroup to another TestPlan WITH ALL
> setting values inside
>
> or
>
> 2.) Copy/clone only one section (e.g. Counter, JMS-Point-to-point,...) WITH
> ALL setting values inside to another
> another TestPlan.
>
> How can I do this?
>
> I would have expected that I can mark one or multiple ThreadGroups or
> sections, then right-click on one of them and choose a
> context menu similar to "export marked settings to clipboard/file".
>
> Conversly in the other *.jmx TestPlan I can mark the TestPlan or
> ThreadGroup where I want to insert something, then rightclick and choose
> "import settings".
>
> But I did not found such a feature/sub menu.
>
> Do I really have to type in again the whole stuff manually in the other
> *.jmx TestPlan?
>
> As far as I can see I cannot open two TestPlans in one and the same JMeter
> Window.
>
> Why not?
>
> Ben

Re: How to copy/clone ThreadGroup or single esections WITH all settings inside to another *.jmx TestPlan?

AdrianS
Not mentioned:  use the workbench to migrate data from elements saved
to the working test plan.

Example: you save a thread group or a controller that performs a
test-case-a1. Merge them in the workbench then copy paste what you
need to the new test plan.

In order to be able to migrate settings you must use User Defined
Variables and not put your variables directly in the test plan.

It is also possible to merge two test plans, but I find it to be
tricky. if you have a new test plan and you want to take most of a
previous test plan just merge the old test plan, than remove what you
don't need.