Quantcast

How throughput controller work?

Nancy
Hi,

I configure some of my test senarios run in 90% throughput controller,
others in 10% throughput controller. I setup 1 thread, run only 1
loop. Why can not be found any records planed to run in throughput
controller in summary report?

--
Best wishes,
Nancy

Re: How throughput controller work?

Felix Frank-2
On 01/05/2011 09:30 AM, Nancy wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I configure some of my test senarios run in 90% throughput controller,
> others in 10% throughput controller. I setup 1 thread, run only 1
> loop. Why can not be found any records planed to run in throughput
> controller in summary report?

The Throughput Controller delays Sampler executions so that the given
thresholds are not exceeded. If you have but 1 thread, you are not
likely to gain much from using it. As it will only delay Sampler
evaluations, there are no additional "planned runs" to be logged anywhere.

I'm not sure what you'd like to find in your Summary Report.

Regards,
Felix

On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 5:11 PM, Felix Frank <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 01/05/2011 09:30 AM, Nancy wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I configure some of my test senarios run in 90% throughput controller,
>> others in 10% throughput controller. I setup 1 thread, run only 1
>> loop. Why can not be found any records planed to run in throughput
>> controller in summary report?
>>

> The Throughput Controller delays Sampler executions so that the given
> thresholds are not exceeded. If you have but 1 thread, you are not
> likely to gain much from using it. As it will only delay Sampler
> evaluations, there are no additional "planned runs" to be logged anywhere.
>
> I'm not sure what you'd like to find in your Summary Report.

I just want some of test senarios take 90% running time, other takes
10% running time, so you mean I have to configure a schedule, let
Jmeter know how much time this 1 thread, 1 loop need?, then I can see
them in Lisener "summary report", how many time each steps running,
response time, error rate....

On 01/05/2011 10:23 AM, Nancy wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 5:11 PM, Felix Frank <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On 01/05/2011 09:30 AM, Nancy wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I configure some of my test senarios run in 90% throughput controller,
>>> others in 10% throughput controller. I setup 1 thread, run only 1
>>> loop. Why can not be found any records planed to run in throughput
>>> controller in summary report?
>>>

>> The Throughput Controller delays Sampler executions so that the given
>> thresholds are not exceeded. If you have but 1 thread, you are not
>> likely to gain much from using it. As it will only delay Sampler
>> evaluations, there are no additional "planned runs" to be logged anywhere.
>>
>> I'm not sure what you'd like to find in your Summary Report.
>
> I just want some of test senarios take 90% running time, other takes
> 10% running time, so you mean I have to configure a schedule, let
> Jmeter know how much time this 1 thread, 1 loop need?, then I can see
> them in Lisener "summary report", how many time each steps running,
> response time, error rate....

I think you want this structure

+ Thread group
|+ Loop Controller
|-+ Sampler1
|-+ Sampler2
|-+ ...
|-+ Throughput Controller (e.g. 90 per minute)
+ Thread group
|+ Loop Controller
|-+ Sampler10
|-+ Sampler11
|-+ ...
--+ Throughput Controller (e.g. 10 per minute)

Running with just 1 thread won't help you with your task.

An alternative is:

+ Thread Group
|+ Loop Controller
|-+ If Controller (Random Value < 90)
|--+ Sampler1
|--+ Sampler2
|--+ ...
|-+ If Controller (Random Value >= 90)
|--+ Sampler10
|--+ ...

No throughput Controllers, and also easier to control the mix, because
the number of Samplers is irrelevant (in the first plan, you need to
keep in mind that each sampler adds to the throughput count).

HTH,
Felix

--
MPeX.net GmbH / Werner-Voß-Damm 62 / D-12101 Berlin / Germany
MPeXnetworks / www.mpexnetworks.de

Sitz, Registergericht: Berlin, Amtsgericht Charlottenburg, HRB 76688
Geschäftsführer: Lars Bräuer, Gregor Lawatscheck

On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 5:40 PM, Felix Frank <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 01/05/2011 10:23 AM, Nancy wrote:

>>> The Throughput Controller delays Sampler executions so that the given
>>> thresholds are not exceeded. If you have but 1 thread, you are not
>>> likely to gain much from using it. As it will only delay Sampler
>>> evaluations, there are no additional "planned runs" to be logged anywhere.
>>>
>>> I'm not sure what you'd like to find in your Summary Report.
>>
>> I just want some of test senarios take 90% running time, other takes
>> 10% running time, so you mean I have to configure a schedule, let
>> Jmeter know how much time this 1 thread, 1 loop need?, then I can see
>> them in Lisener "summary report", how many time each steps running,
>> response time, error rate....
>
> I think you want this structure
>
> + Thread group
> |+ Loop Controller
> |-+ Sampler1
> |-+ Sampler2
> |-+ ...
> |-+ Throughput Controller (e.g. 90 per minute)
> + Thread group
> |+ Loop Controller
> |-+ Sampler10
> |-+ Sampler11
> |-+ ...
> --+ Throughput Controller (e.g. 10 per minute)
>
> Running with just 1 thread won't help you with your task.
>
> An alternative is:
>
> + Thread Group
> |+ Loop Controller
> |-+ If Controller (Random Value < 90)
> |--+ Sampler1
> |--+ Sampler2
> |--+ ...
> |-+ If Controller (Random Value >= 90)
> |--+ Sampler10
> |--+ ...
>
> No throughput Controllers, and also easier to control the mix, because
> the number of Samplers is irrelevant (in the first plan, you need to
> keep in mind that each sampler adds to the throughput count).
>
> HTH,
> Felix

Thank you Felix :-)

I am little curious what occasion should use trhoughput Controllers,
Can you give an example?

--
Best wishes,
Nancy

Re: How throughput controller work?

Felix Frank-2
> I am little curious what occasion should use trhoughput Controllers,
> Can you give an example?

If you know e.g. that your servers are supposed to sustain a load of
2000 page interactions per minute, that's just what you can tell your
Throughput Controller to induce. Given enough Threads and computing
power in your load inducer, you can choose the exact load you wish to apply.

Regards,
Felix

On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 11:15 PM, Felix Frank <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I am little curious what occasion should use trhoughput Controllers,
>> Can you give an example?
>
> If you know e.g. that your servers are supposed to sustain a load of
> 2000 page interactions per minute, that's just what you can tell your
> Throughput Controller to induce. Given enough Threads and computing
> power in your load inducer, you can choose the exact load you wish to apply.

2000 page interactions per minute, I am not sure? where you got that
information? Any docs? or just an imaginary number?

http://jakarta.apache.org/jmeter/usermanual/component_reference.html#Throughput_Controller
says too little about throughput controller." For percent execution
mode, a number from 0-100 that indicates the percentage of times the
controller will execute. "50" means the controller will execute during
half the iterations throught the test plan."

half of the iterations, including only 1 iteration(1 thread, 1 loop)?
mutiple threads 1 loop? mutiple threads forever loop/several loops?

Throughput Controller (e.g. 90 per minute) ? how you define 90 per
minute? not 90 per seconds, per hours?

On 01/05/2011 04:57 PM, Nancy wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 11:15 PM, Felix Frank <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> I am little curious what occasion should use trhoughput Controllers,
>>> Can you give an example?
>>
>> If you know e.g. that your servers are supposed to sustain a load of
>> 2000 page interactions per minute, that's just what you can tell your
>> Throughput Controller to induce. Given enough Threads and computing
>> power in your load inducer, you can choose the exact load you wish to apply.
>
> 2000 page interactions per minute, I am not sure? where you got that
> information? Any docs? or just an imaginary number?
>
> http://jakarta.apache.org/jmeter/usermanual/component_reference.html#Throughput_Controller
> says too little about throughput controller." For percent execution
> mode, a number from 0-100 that indicates the percentage of times the
> controller will execute. "50" means the controller will execute during
> half the iterations throught the test plan."
>
> half of the iterations, including only 1 iteration(1 thread, 1 loop)?
> mutiple threads 1 loop? mutiple threads forever loop/several loops?
>
> Throughput Controller (e.g. 90 per minute) ? how you define 90 per
> minute? not 90 per seconds, per hours?

Sorry. This was me mixing up the Throughput Controller with the Constant
Throughput Timer.

Re: How throughput controller work?

Nancy
> Sorry. This was me mixing up the Throughput Controller with the Constant
> Throughput Timer.
>
> Forget pretty much all I wrote earlier :-(

No need to say sorry. Thank you for your informaitons. I learn from them :-)

--
Best wishes,
Nancy

Re: How throughput controller work?

Felix Frank-2
On 01/05/2011 04:57 PM, Nancy wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 11:15 PM, Felix Frank <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> I am little curious what occasion should use trhoughput Controllers,
>>> Can you give an example?
>>
>> If you know e.g. that your servers are supposed to sustain a load of
>> 2000 page interactions per minute, that's just what you can tell your
>> Throughput Controller to induce. Given enough Threads and computing
>> power in your load inducer, you can choose the exact load you wish to apply.
>
> 2000 page interactions per minute, I am not sure? where you got that
> information? Any docs? or just an imaginary number?
>
> http://jakarta.apache.org/jmeter/usermanual/component_reference.html#Throughput_Controller
> says too little about throughput controller." For percent execution
> mode, a number from 0-100 that indicates the percentage of times the
> controller will execute. "50" means the controller will execute during
> half the iterations throught the test plan."
>
> half of the iterations, including only 1 iteration(1 thread, 1 loop)?
> mutiple threads 1 loop? mutiple threads forever loop/several loops?

I'd assume that for each given thread, all children of the Throughput
Controller are evaluated X out of 100 times the Controller is looped
over. In your case

+ Thread Group
|+ Loop Controller
|-+ Throughput Controller 90%
|--+ Sampler1
|--+ Sampler2
|--+ ...
|-+ Throughput Controller 10%
|--+ Sampler10
|--+ ...

This should do roughly what you want. Bear in mind:

+ Thread Group ( 90 threads )
|+ Sampler 1
|+ ...
+ Thread Group ( 10 threads )
|+ Sampler 10
|+ ...

This will do the same mix with higher concurrency of the different tasks.

HTH,
Felix

On Thu, Jan 6, 2011 at 4:18 PM, Felix Frank <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> If you know e.g. that your servers are supposed to sustain a load of
>>> 2000 page interactions per minute, that's just what you can tell your
>>> Throughput Controller to induce. Given enough Threads and computing
>>> power in your load inducer, you can choose the exact load you wish to apply.
>>
>> 2000 page interactions per minute, I am not sure? where you got that
>> information? Any docs? or just an imaginary number?
>>
>> http://jakarta.apache.org/jmeter/usermanual/component_reference.html#Throughput_Controller
>> says too little about throughput controller." For percent execution
>> mode, a number from 0-100 that indicates the percentage of times the
>> controller will execute. "50" means the controller will execute during
>> half the iterations throught the test plan."
>>
>> half of the iterations, including only 1 iteration(1 thread, 1 loop)?
>> mutiple threads 1 loop? mutiple threads forever loop/several loops?
>
> I'd assume that for each given thread, all children of the Throughput
> Controller are evaluated X out of 100 times the Controller is looped
> over. In your case
>
> + Thread Group
> |+ Loop Controller
> |-+ Throughput Controller 90%
> |--+ Sampler1
> |--+ Sampler2
> |--+ ...
> |-+ Throughput Controller 10%
> |--+ Sampler10
> |--+ ...
>
> This should do roughly what you want. Bear in mind:
>
> + Thread Group ( 90 threads )
> |+ Sampler 1
> |+ ...
> + Thread Group ( 10 threads )
> |+ Sampler 10
> |+ ...
>
> This will do the same mix with higher concurrency of the different tasks.

Is that mean if I only have 50 threads, each thread only run 1 loop,
then the Throughput Controller does not work well?

--
Best wishes,
Nancy

Re: How throughput controller work?

Felix Frank-2
> Is that mean if I only have 50 threads, each thread only run 1 loop,
> then the Throughput Controller does not work well?

I'd expect it to not work at all.