Quantcast

HTTP Request Sampler configuration for REST

12

HTTP Request Sampler configuration for REST

Renaud, Martin
Hi All,

I'm trying to use JMeter 2.3.4 to send a request to a REST application
without success.

I'm using the HTTP Request Sampler. And I cannot find the good
configuration for the request to be consumed by my application. More
precisely, I cannot get the request sent by JMeter to have the

Info on my application:

* Reachable by a "simple url": no argument to be extracted from it
to be sent as handler parameters.
* Attached XML that is unmarshaled using JAXB.
* The handler consumes multipart/mixed POST requests.

What I did:

* Attach an XML file using the "Send Files With the Request". I
have no parameter name and the MIME type set to "multipart/mixed"
* Added a Header manager with Accept=multipart/mixed.
* Request checkbox "Redirect": unchecked
* Request checkbox "Follow Redirects": unchecked
* Request checkbox "Use KeepAlive": checked

Depending if the Request checkbox "Use multipart/form-data for HTTP
POST" is check, I get the following:

Check:

* The request received by my app has "Content-Type:
multipart/form-data; boundary=a-boundary"
* The content-type is not good: my app consumes multipart/mixed.

Unchecked:

* The request received by my app has "Content-Type:
multipart/mixed"   , but no boundary.
* The parsing of the request throws a
org.jvnet.mimepull.MIMEParsingException because no boundary is found.

Can you please tell me what I'm doing wrong.

Also, I found in the net the following Sampler:
http://smartrics.blogspot.com/2009/04/jmeter-to-test-robustness-of-syste
m.html

Unfortunately,  it does not seems compatible with the latest version of
JMeter, anyone have found a workaround ?

Thanks a lot,

Martin

Re: HTTP Request Sampler configuration for REST

shettyd
The HTTPSampler probably can only use the types that form can use are
application/x-www-form-urlencoded
or multipart/form-data . So I dont think what you want is currently
supported

The mime type against the file parameter , should be the mime-type of the
file - text/xml or whatever not of the entire request , can you try with
that and multipart/form-data , i find it surprising that your receiving
application mandates multipart/mixed.
You can either use a different tool like SOAP UI which should have better
support or you can code this as a java class and invoke it with a Java
Sampler  in jmeter if you dont feel like diving into Jmeter code.

regards
deeoak

On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 8:48 AM, Renaud, Martin <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Hi All,
>

> I'm trying to use JMeter 2.3.4 to send a request to a REST application
> without success.
>

> I'm using the HTTP Request Sampler. And I cannot find the good
> configuration for the request to be consumed by my application. More
> precisely, I cannot get the request sent by JMeter to have the
>

> Info on my application:
>
> *       Reachable by a "simple url": no argument to be extracted from it
> to be sent as handler parameters.
> *       Attached XML that is unmarshaled using JAXB.
> *       The handler consumes multipart/mixed POST requests.
>

> What I did:
>
> *       Attach an XML file using the "Send Files With the Request". I
> have no parameter name and the MIME type set to "multipart/mixed"
> *       Added a Header manager with Accept=multipart/mixed.
> *       Request checkbox "Redirect": unchecked
> *       Request checkbox "Follow Redirects": unchecked
> *       Request checkbox "Use KeepAlive": checked
>

> Depending if the Request checkbox "Use multipart/form-data for HTTP
> POST" is check, I get the following:
>

> Check:
>
> *       The request received by my app has "Content-Type:
> multipart/form-data; boundary=a-boundary"
> *       The content-type is not good: my app consumes multipart/mixed.
>

> Unchecked:
>
> *       The request received by my app has "Content-Type:
> multipart/mixed"   , but no boundary.
> *       The parsing of the request throws a
> org.jvnet.mimepull.MIMEParsingException because no boundary is found.
>

> Can you please tell me what I'm doing wrong.
>

> Also, I found in the net the following Sampler:
> http://smartrics.blogspot.com/2009/04/jmeter-to-test-robustness-of-syste
> m.html<http://smartrics.blogspot.com/2009/04/jmeter-to-test-robustness-of-syste%0Am.html>
>

> Unfortunately,  it does not seems compatible with the latest version of
> JMeter, anyone have found a workaround ?
>

> Thanks a lot,
>

> Martin

RE: HTTP Request Sampler configuration for REST

Renaud, Martin
Hi,

Thanks for the quick response. I tried with your suggestion and the
received type was still not the one expected by the app.

It is good to know that what I'm trying to do is not supported (yet?), I
will stop trying and concentrate on the Java Request Sample instead.

However if someone found a way to achieve that with an HTTP Sampler, I
would be glad to hear how.

Thanks again,

-Martin

<[hidden email]>wrote:

> Hi All,
>

> I'm trying to use JMeter 2.3.4 to send a request to a REST application
> without success.
>

> I'm using the HTTP Request Sampler. And I cannot find the good
> configuration for the request to be consumed by my application. More
> precisely, I cannot get the request sent by JMeter to have the
>

> Info on my application:
>
> *       Reachable by a "simple url": no argument to be extracted from
it

> to be sent as handler parameters.
> *       Attached XML that is unmarshaled using JAXB.
> *       The handler consumes multipart/mixed POST requests.
>

> What I did:
>
> *       Attach an XML file using the "Send Files With the Request". I
> have no parameter name and the MIME type set to "multipart/mixed"
> *       Added a Header manager with Accept=multipart/mixed.
> *       Request checkbox "Redirect": unchecked
> *       Request checkbox "Follow Redirects": unchecked
> *       Request checkbox "Use KeepAlive": checked
>

> Depending if the Request checkbox "Use multipart/form-data for HTTP
> POST" is check, I get the following:
>

> Check:
>
> *       The request received by my app has "Content-Type:
> multipart/form-data; boundary=a-boundary"
> *       The content-type is not good: my app consumes multipart/mixed.
>

> Unchecked:
>
> *       The request received by my app has "Content-Type:
> multipart/mixed"   , but no boundary.
> *       The parsing of the request throws a
> org.jvnet.mimepull.MIMEParsingException because no boundary is found.
>

> Can you please tell me what I'm doing wrong.
>

> Also, I found in the net the following Sampler:

http://smartrics.blogspot.com/2009/04/jmeter-to-test-robustness-of-syste

m.html<http://smartrics.blogspot.com/2009/04/jmeter-to-test-robustness-o
f-syste%0Am.html>

> Unfortunately,  it does not seems compatible with the latest version
of

> JMeter, anyone have found a workaround ?
>

> Thanks a lot,
>

> Martin

Automated monitoring of servers during load testing

Bhattacharya, Sudip
Hi friends,

This may not be directly linked to JMeter, so please tolerate.

I am using JMeter to emulate 500 users load on a system. I need to monitor the servers during this load test in an automated way.

What is the best way to monitor servers?

I need to monitor basically:

a.       CPU Usage (of whole system)

b.       CPU Usage (of specific applications - java instances running the EJB/WEB nodes for e.g.)

c.       Memory Usage (of whole system)

d.       Memory Usage (of specific applications - java instances running the EJB/WEB nodes for e.g.)

e.       Disk I/O on database server

The monitoring system should have a way to report out the captured data in a graph, which can be overlaid with the JMeter graphs to view system behavior under the load.

Is there any opensource/freeware tool to monitor and log these?

______________________________

Sudip Kumar Bhattacharya

This e-mail (and any attachments), is confidential and may be privileged. It may be read, copied and used only
by intended recipients. Unauthorized access to this e-mail (or attachments) and disclosure or copying of its
contents or any action taken in reliance on it is unlawful. Unintended recipients must notify the sender immediately
by e-mail/phone & delete it from their system without making any copies or disclosing it to a third person.

RE: Automated monitoring of servers during load testing

Renaud, Martin
If you are under Windows, all these (and more) can be monitored/graphed
with PerfMon.

You can then use the timestamps to aligned PerfMon and JMeter data. But
I don't know how to do that automatically, so you may need to write a
script that does that.

HTH,

-Martin

RE: Automated monitoring of servers during load testing

Bhattacharya, Sudip
Thanks Martin.

I found another tool-IXORARMS.. a freeware tool. Exploring that now.

Perfmon seems good for monitoring OS parameters. However it was not showing data for WebLogic JVMs clearly.

Regards,
Sudip

Re: Automated monitoring of servers during load testing

Brett Cave
In windows add/remove components, make sure that SNMP is enabled and
configure it via the services console (start -> run -> services.msc). we
have written an SNMP sampler to log metrics to a mysql database and run our
own reporting, but using any snmp reporting tool will work (personally I can
recommend Cacti as a good one).

Brett

twitter: @brettcave
Blog: http://brett.cave.za.net

On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 2:56 PM, Bhattacharya, Sudip <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi friends,
>

> This may not be directly linked to JMeter, so please tolerate.
>
> I am using JMeter to emulate 500 users load on a system. I need to monitor
> the servers during this load test in an automated way.
>
> What is the best way to monitor servers?
>

> I need to monitor basically:
>
> a.       CPU Usage (of whole system)
>
> b.       CPU Usage (of specific applications - java instances running the
> EJB/WEB nodes for e.g.)
>
> c.       Memory Usage (of whole system)
>
> d.       Memory Usage (of specific applications - java instances running
> the EJB/WEB nodes for e.g.)
>
> e.       Disk I/O on database server
>

> The monitoring system should have a way to report out the captured data in
> a graph, which can be overlaid with the JMeter graphs to view system
> behavior under the load.
>

> Is there any opensource/freeware tool to monitor and log these?
>
> ______________________________
>
> Sudip Kumar Bhattacharya
>

> This e-mail (and any attachments), is confidential and may be privileged.
> It may be read, copied and used only
> by intended recipients. Unauthorized access to this e-mail (or attachments)
> and disclosure or copying of its
> contents or any action taken in reliance on it is unlawful. Unintended
> recipients must notify the sender immediately
> by e-mail/phone & delete it from their system without making any copies or
> disclosing it to a third person.

How to pick items from a grid

Bhattacharya, Sudip

I have to code the following scenario:

1. User Logs In
2. Gets a grid containing all existing records
3. Picks the first item from the grid
4. Processes it. Completes the transaction.
5. Gets back to the grid page again
6. Picks first item from the grid. The previously processed item would be removed from the grid by now, so this would be another item.

This way the user will continue in a loop.. pick first item... process... complete transaction... get  back to grid and pick the first item from the new list...

What is the best way to pick up the first item from the grid.
The items have a hyperlink which has to be clicked to open the item from the grid.

The hyperlink looks like:

How do I retrieve this link from the grid, and send out a request for this URL in my load script?

Regards,
Sudip
This e-mail (and any attachments), is confidential and may be privileged. It may be read, copied and used only
by intended recipients. Unauthorized access to this e-mail (or attachments) and disclosure or copying of its
contents or any action taken in reliance on it is unlawful. Unintended recipients must notify the sender immediately
by e-mail/phone & delete it from their system without making any copies or disclosing it to a third person.

Re: How to pick items from a grid

sv-2
I would suggest to use a regular expression.

Quoting "Bhattacharya, Sudip" <[hidden email]>:

> Hi,
>
> I have to code the following scenario:
>
> 1. User Logs In
> 2. Gets a grid containing all existing records
> 3. Picks the first item from the grid
> 4. Processes it. Completes the transaction.
> 5. Gets back to the grid page again
> 6. Picks first item from the grid. The previously processed item
> would be removed from the grid by now, so this would be another item.
>
> This way the user will continue in a loop.. pick first item...
> process... complete transaction... get  back to grid and pick the
> first item from the new list...
>
> What is the best way to pick up the first item from the grid.
> The items have a hyperlink which has to be clicked to open the item
> from the grid.
>
> The hyperlink looks like:

> href="task.show?action=showframe&
> NameE=5341425F41505F4D414E233931333" class="TblLnk">Process
> Item</a></td>
>
> How do I retrieve this link from the grid, and send out a request
> for this URL in my load script?
>
> Regards,
> Sudip
> This e-mail (and any attachments), is confidential and may be
> privileged. It may be read, copied and used only
> by intended recipients. Unauthorized access to this e-mail (or
> attachments) and disclosure or copying of its
> contents or any action taken in reliance on it is unlawful.
> Unintended recipients must notify the sender immediately
> by e-mail/phone & delete it from their system without making any
> copies or disclosing it to a third person.

RE: How to pick items from a grid

Bhattacharya, Sudip
Thanks. Managed with some regex patterns taken from a web sample.

Is there any guide on the regex that provides details on how to construct the regex patterns?

I would suggest to use a regular expression.

Quoting "Bhattacharya, Sudip" <[hidden email]>:

> Hi,
>
> I have to code the following scenario:
>
> 1. User Logs In
> 2. Gets a grid containing all existing records
> 3. Picks the first item from the grid
> 4. Processes it. Completes the transaction.
> 5. Gets back to the grid page again
> 6. Picks first item from the grid. The previously processed item
> would be removed from the grid by now, so this would be another item.
>
> This way the user will continue in a loop.. pick first item...
> process... complete transaction... get  back to grid and pick the
> first item from the new list...
>
> What is the best way to pick up the first item from the grid.
> The items have a hyperlink which has to be clicked to open the item
> from the grid.
>
> The hyperlink looks like:

> href="task.show?action=showframe&
> NameE=5341425F41505F4D414E233931333" class="TblLnk">Process
> Item</a></td>
>
> How do I retrieve this link from the grid, and send out a request
> for this URL in my load script?
>
> Regards,
> Sudip
> This e-mail (and any attachments), is confidential and may be
> privileged. It may be read, copied and used only
> by intended recipients. Unauthorized access to this e-mail (or
> attachments) and disclosure or copying of its
> contents or any action taken in reliance on it is unlawful.
> Unintended recipients must notify the sender immediately
> by e-mail/phone & delete it from their system without making any
> copies or disclosing it to a third person.

This e-mail (and any attachments), is confidential and may be privileged. It may be read, copied and used only
by intended recipients. Unauthorized access to this e-mail (or attachments) and disclosure or copying of its
contents or any action taken in reliance on it is unlawful. Unintended recipients must notify the sender immediately
by e-mail/phone & delete it from their system without making any copies or disclosing it to a third person.

Jmeter HTTP Request Sampler returns prematurely

Bhattacharya, Sudip
I am facing a peculiar problem.

I have a URL which is a bit slow.

It returns the headers, but the content takes about 4-5 seconds to come back.

HTTP Request Sampler triggers it as a null value response case by completing the step before the response can come back, and the assertion flags it off as an error.

How can I force the HTTP Sampler to wait for some time and verify that the request has completed processing.

______________________________
Sudip Kumar Bhattacharya
This e-mail (and any attachments), is confidential and may be privileged. It may be read, copied and used only
by intended recipients. Unauthorized access to this e-mail (or attachments) and disclosure or copying of its
contents or any action taken in reliance on it is unlawful. Unintended recipients must notify the sender immediately
by e-mail/phone & delete it from their system without making any copies or disclosing it to a third person.

RE: Jmeter HTTP Request Sampler returns prematurely

Andrey Pohilko
There's timeout fields in HTTP Sampler, try using them.

С уважением,
Андрей Похилько

RE: Jmeter HTTP Request Sampler returns prematurely

skbhattacharya
The problem is that even if I set the timeout to 10000 ms it exist out
in 20-30 ms.
The response has transfer-encoding:chunked. Sometimes it returns data,
sometimes jmeter exits prematurely without
waiting for the response, saying that content length was 0.

Regards,
Sudip

Andrey Pohilko
Tue, 25 May 2010 05:46:34 -0700
There's timeout fields in HTTP Sampler, try using them.

&#1057; &#1091;&#1074;&#1072;&#1078;&#1077;&#1085;&#1080;&#1077;&#1084;,
&#1040;&#1085;&#1076;&#1088;&#1077;&#1081; &#1055;&#1086;&#1093;&#1080;&#1083;&#1100;&#1082;&#1086;

Re: Jmeter HTTP Request Sampler returns prematurely

sebb-2-2
> The problem is that even if I set the timeout to 10000 ms it exist out
>  in 20-30 ms.
>  The response has transfer-encoding:chunked. Sometimes it returns data,
>  sometimes jmeter exits prematurely without
>  waiting for the response, saying that content length was 0.

Well then either there is a bug in JMeter or there is a bug in the server.

Without a bit more detail - e.g. exact error message - it's impossible to say.

>  Regards,
>  Sudip
>

>  Andrey Pohilko
>  Tue, 25 May 2010 05:46:34 -0700
>
> There's timeout fields in HTTP Sampler, try using them.
>

> &#1057; &#1091;&#1074;&#1072;&#1078;&#1077;&#1085;&#1080;&#1077;&#1084;,
>  &#1040;&#1085;&#1076;&#1088;&#1077;&#1081; &#1055;&#1086;&#1093;&#1080;&#1083;&#1100;&#1082;&#1086;

Is it possible connect remote server via SSH

Flik Shen

My remote test environment only allows remote access via SSH connection.
I hope run Jmeter GUI from my PC and trigger remote jmeter server via SSH.
Is it possible?

Best regards,
Flik

Infosys e-mail system.

RE: Is it possible connect remote server via SSH

Andrey Pohilko
Tried SSH Tunneling?

С уважением,
Андрей Похилько

Re: Is it possible connect remote server via SSH

sebb-2-2
SSH tunneling can be hard to set up, and SSH tends to be more resource
intensive.

Why not run JMeter in non-GUI (batch) mode on the server?

You can start it through an SSH command-line.

On 26/05/2010, Andrey Pohilko <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Tried SSH Tunneling?
>

>  С уважением,
>  Андрей Похилько

Steve Eckhart
I like this site for explaining regular expressions: http://www.regular-expressions.info/reference.html.

This site will allow you to test your regular expression to make sure you've got it right: http://regexlib.com/RETester.aspx

Steve Eckhart
Business Analyst/Project Manager

WAUSAU Financial Systems
14010 FNB PKWY STE500
Omaha, NE 68154-5206
Email: [hidden email]

Enterprise Payment Solutions.
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:  This electronic transmission (including files attached hereto) is intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above.  If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, dissemination, copying, distribution or taking of any action in reliance on the contents of this confidential information is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this communication in error, please destroy it and immediately notify us by return email.  Thank you.

On 25/05/2010, Bhattacharya, Sudip <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Thanks. Managed with some regex patterns taken from a web sample.
>
>  Is there any guide on the regex that provides details on how to construct the regex patterns?

Have you read:

http://jakarta.apache.org/jmeter/usermanual/regular_expressions.html

JMeter uses Jakarta ORO, which has a demo here:

http://jakarta.apache.org/oro/demo.html

Thanks for your suggestion.

I am fresher to SSH Tunneling.
I search and get some hits about Max OS X SSH Tunneling.
However they just give some brief.
So could you please provide me some reference or guideline for this aspect?

Thanks and best regards,
Flik

On 5/26/10 4:29 PM, "Andrey Pohilko" <[hidden email]> wrote:

Tried SSH Tunneling?

С уважением,
Андрей Похилько