Quantcast

Gaussian Random Timer

Aditi Seth (adseth)
Hi , I am a newbie with Jmeter. I am trying to simulate where a user
logs into a web page every 5 mins. I tried using the gaussian random
timer but without much luck.

- Logon User
 - Gaussian Random Timer (associated with the logon user HTTP request)

Any ideas ?

Thanks!
Aditi

Re: Gaussian Random Timer

sebb-2-2
What is not working?

On 31/05/07, Aditi Seth (adseth) <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi , I am a newbie with Jmeter. I am trying to simulate where a user
> logs into a web page every 5 mins. I tried using the gaussian random
> timer but without much luck.
>
> - Logon User
>  - Gaussian Random Timer (associated with the logon user HTTP request)
>
> Any ideas ?
>
> Thanks!
> Aditi

RE: Gaussian Random Timer

Aditi Seth (adseth)

When I start this test - there is a delay seen for the first logon
request. But for all subsequent I see no delay. This delay is set with a
constant offset for 5 mins.

Not too sure I understand timers. Thanks for your help!

On 31/05/07, Aditi Seth (adseth) <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi , I am a newbie with Jmeter. I am trying to simulate where a user
> logs into a web page every 5 mins. I tried using the gaussian random
> timer but without much luck.
>
> - Logon User
>  - Gaussian Random Timer (associated with the logon user HTTP request)
>
> Any ideas ?
>
> Thanks!
> Aditi

RE: Gaussian Random Timer

Aditi Seth (adseth)
Is there a way to delay this logon request for 5 mins for each iteration
?
Example -

Logon request
        delay 5 mins
Logon request
        delay 5 mins
Logon request
        delay 5 mins
Logon request

Thanks in advance!

On 31/05/07, Aditi Seth (adseth) <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi , I am a newbie with Jmeter. I am trying to simulate where a user
> logs into a web page every 5 mins. I tried using the gaussian random
> timer but without much luck.
>
> - Logon User
>  - Gaussian Random Timer (associated with the logon user HTTP request)
>
> Any ideas ?
>
> Thanks!
> Aditi

RE: Gaussian Random Timer

lakshmi palaniappan
Hi try this

  ThreadGroup ( Specify the number of threads and iterations)
  Logon req
    - constant timer ( 5 mins)

  or

  ThreadGroup ( Specify the number of threads and iterations)
    - Simple controller
       - Logon Req
          - Constant timer ( 5 mins)

  Place this logon req under a loop controller or under a simple controller with the number of iterations specified in the thread group.

  Hope this would help.

"Aditi Seth (adseth)" <[hidden email]> wrote:
  Is there a way to delay this logon request for 5 mins for each iteration
?
Example -

Logon request
delay 5 mins
Logon request
delay 5 mins
Logon request
delay 5 mins
Logon request

Thanks in advance!

> Hi , I am a newbie with Jmeter. I am trying to simulate where a user
> logs into a web page every 5 mins. I tried using the gaussian random
> timer but without much luck.
>
> - Logon User
> - Gaussian Random Timer (associated with the logon user HTTP request)
>
> Any ideas ?
>
> Thanks!
> Aditi

Lakshmi.

---------------------------------
 Download prohibited? No problem! CHAT from any browser, without download.

Re: Gaussian Random Timer

sebb-2-2
See the first paragraph of:

http://jakarta.apache.org/jmeter/usermanual/component_reference.html#timers

If you put a Timer in the same scope as all the samplers, it will be
applied before all the samplers.

So you just need

Thread Group
+ Timer
+ Logon
+ Logon
+ Logon

However, if the logons are supposed to be from different users, you
should probably use different threads, and use the Thread Group
ramp-up time to stagger the thread startup times. For 5 threads, use a
ramp-up of 5*5*60 = 1500. You can then add a short Gaussian timer to
the thread to vary the sample time slightly.